Mother of God Chapel

The Mother of God Chapel is situated approximately 400 m southwest of Veveří Castle. Its origin probably dates back to the 12th century; it was first mentioned in historical documentation in 1240. A medieval village used to exist near the chapel, but it disappeared during the Hussite wars. The chapel is equipped modestly. A precious original painting of the Madonna of Veveří is now part of the collection of the National Gallery in Prague. Some researchers believe that its creator was the Master of the Vyšší Brod Altar who painted his works around 1350. A copy of the painting was stolen from the chapel in October 1993.