The town of Kuřim lies 13 km northwest of Brno. There is evidence of early settlements dating as far as primeval times. Through the centuries, the original agricultural community evolved into what is nowadays the biggest town and an important industrial center of the Brno-venkov district (Brno-rural district), with more than ten thousand inhabitants. Kuřim is a municipality with extended powers, a member of National Network of Healthy Towns in the Czech Republic and a member of the Kuřimka Micro-region – a voluntary union of municipalities.

In the Middle Ages, a significant trade route called the Trstenice Path passed through the area of Kuřim. The town also lies close to the road from Brno to Svitavy, which represents an advantage from the point of view of transportation. Other traffic routes pass through the city, such as the Brno – Tišnov roadway and the railway line from Brno to Havlíčkův Brod. The Brno – Tišnov railway line has been in operation since 1885. Public transport is currently provided for by the regional integrated transport system.

The Kuřim's coat of arms was created when they promoted the village to a town. It is presumed to be derived from the escutcheon of the aristocratic family of Tasovice. It was first documented on a seal used before 1560 AD; the town has regularly used it since the 19th century. On a silver background, the coat of arms features a black eagle wing with two rows of feathers – the upper with five big feathers and the lower with six smaller feathers pinned together with a clip. The number and arrangement of feathers make the coat of arms different from other similar escutcheons and coats of arms.

The exact date of the foundation of Kuřim is unclear. Its existence is first documented in the foundation charter of the Church of St. Mary Magdalene, of 1226 AD. Kuřim was founded at the end of the 12th century, in the location of a Slavic settlement dating back to the times of the Great Moravian Empire. After the fall of the empire (in 906 AD), Kuřim was inhabited again, based on an order issued by a prince of Brno, a member of the royal family of Přemyslovci.

In 1241 AD, the Avars attacked the town, burning it down including the church. Until 1405 AD, Kuřim was the property of the family of Přemyslovci and after that many aristocratic families owned the whole town or some parts of it. It became the administrative center of the Brno Estate in 1547 AD. It came out of the Thirty Years War and the related Swedish invasion of Moravia partially burned, not excluding the castle. After the war, the castle was the first building to be reconstructed.

The Castle. Built at the place of a Gothic fortress dating from the second half of the 14th century, it grew gradually from the Renaissance to the 19th century. The castle was built for practical purposes; it has two floors and is not adorned with dispensable luxury. Nowadays, cultural events called “Kuřim Castle Cultural Summer” are held in the court and the castle hosts a modern art gallery. In the southeastern part of the town at the foot of the Kuřim Hill the Water Chapel of St. Jan Nepomuk will gain your attention. From the rocks of the Kuřim Hill, water flows into the Chapel in pinewood pipes and at the moment the water is not potable.

The town has two squares; the older one, 1st of May Square, replaced the original historical market place. Used as a recreational area, it is dominated by the so called “Wet Stone” by sculptor Pavel Opočenský. The baroque statue of St. Florian (dating back to 1679) is one of the witnesses of the past on the square. St. Florian is the patron saint of the firefighters, protecting all from the devastating element of fire. On the square, we will also notice the memorial to victims of the World Wars and a bust of president Edward Beneš who is the only honorary citizen of the town.

The Liberation Square is dominated by a Cultural House built in the 1960s, when the whole square was created. We can also see there a statue dedicated to Rumanian soldiers.

There are three basic schools and five kindergartens in Kuřim and children can also visit a primary school of arts. The premises of the Kuřim castle host the Kuřim s.r.o Secondary Technical School and Secondary Vocational School.

In 1982, an indoor swimming pool was built in the town and it has been in operation ever since. In 2009 and 2010 the pool was reconstructed and new parts were added. The new sports and leisure center, Kuřim Wellnes Center, boasts of several pools, a toboggan, a fitness center, a fitness hall, a wide offer of relaxation and recovery cures, a children's corner and a restaurant. Comprising an outdoor swimming pool open in summer, this sports and leisure center is situated in the northern part of the town.

A large 250-acre sports and recreational golf area on a European level is located in part within the city limits of Kuřim, in the direction of Jinačovice. It offers lodging and a restaurant, and provides all golf-related services. Kuřim also has a climbing wall to offer its visitors, along with several playgrounds open to the public and several fitness halls intended for various sports.

After the Second World War, the development of the town was closely related to the TOS Kuřim factory that started its operation during the war to cover the increasing armament needs. The site gradually grew and after some time became the most important employer of inhabitants of Kuřim and more distant areas. In the second half of the 1990s, the AMP multinational company started building, and completed, its new site in Kuřim. A range of smaller businesses are located in the town as well.

Kuřim is an ideal point of departure for trips on the “Babí lom” Hill (562 meters) with a view tower built in 1961, on the “Zlobice” Hill (419 meters, people breed sheep and goats here, there is a dairy cottage and other events are held there), and to the woods surrounding the Brno Dam or to the Moravian Karst. Many high-quality marked trails lead through the area. The Town Trail across Záruba (381 meters) and Horka (383 meters) is unique and the only one of its kind in the Czech Republic. Information panels carved in wood are original pieces of art. The town is entirely surrounded by areas with plant species under special protection. The Zlobice Natural Monument figures on the list of significant areas in the territory of Europe of Natura 2000.

On the western outskirts of the town you will find the Srpek Pond. This reservoir was revitalized in 2010 and serves for everyday recreational activities of citizens of Kuřim and the surrounding villages.

The most important regional bicycle path passes through the town center and is marked in the segment from Brno to Mokrá Hora – Lelekovice – Podlesí – Kuřim – Moravské Knínice – Chudčice and to Veverská Bítýška. The path follows the former railway lines from Brno to Kuřim and Tišnov and from Kuřim to Veverská Bítýška. In Veverská Bítýška, this trail joins the Prague – Brno – Vienna bicycle path that makes part of the international Euro-Velo bicycle path network.

Kuřim is establishing new traditions through social events: the Kuřim Shrove Carnival in February, Honey days in September, a wine celebration in November and St. Nicolas' Market in December. The Library of the town of Kuřim has expanded in the last few years. It provides methodical support for more than one hundred municipal libraries in the area, manages them and supports their activities. As a part of the library, the Cultural Department holds cultural events, particularly at the Cultural House situated on the square and in the small concert hall with a unique acoustic environment, in the building of the basic school of arts. The significance of many of these cultural events reaches beyond the borders of the region.

More information about the town can be found at