Moravské Knínice

Situated about 18 km northwest of Brno, the municipality of Moravské Knínice extends onto a mild hill, at 267.94 meters above sea level and makes part of an area called the Volcanic Rocks of Brno. In the past, the area of the municipality attained 5,006 acres and it stretched all the way to the Brno Dam. Currently it is 3,061 acres. Knínice is a member of the Tišnovsko Union of Water Distribution and Sewage Systems and of the Kuřimka Micro-region. The transport is provided by the Integrated Transport System of the South Moravia Region.


There is evidence of settlements in the area dating as far as the Old Stone Age. The first official records of the village can be found in a document of 1235 AD in which Pope Gregory IX took under his protection the Cistercian Monastery in Předkláštěří u Tišnova (Předklášětří near Tišnov). On this occasion, the Pope mentions a village called Chieniz belonging to the monastery.

In 1418, the Czech King Václav IV endowed Jan from Lomnice with the lands of Knínice, for his devoted service. The attribute “Moravský” (Moravian) only appeared in 1437. From 1519, the whole village belonged to the Veveří Estate.

The importance of Knínice is illustrated by the village seal. It features a knife for grape wine cutting and a historic blow which is an old agricultural tool used for loosening soil. The current coat of arms of Knínice is based on these symbols.

In the center of the village there is a Gothic church devoted to St. Margaret. It is listed as being built in 1366. Until 1562, the village had the status of an independent parish and after that it was united with the parish of Kuřim. Precious mural paintings have been preserved in the presbytery and two bells from the first half of the 16th century can be found in the tower.

The noteworthy Chapel of Saints Cyril and Methodius was built in 1862. The altar-piece portrays Cyril and Mehodius arriving in Moravian Velehrad in 863 AD, at the time of King Rostislav's rule.

Near the eastern entrance to the village, you will see the Chapel of St. Jan Nepomuk, built in 1856.

The original school building of 1811 was the oldest public secular building in the village. However, in 1860 it caught fire and burnt down, as well as many of the other houses around it. In 1882, a new school was constructed in the center of Knínice next to the church. At the beginning it had one floor, the second floor was added later.

Since the 1960s, Knínice has had a kindergarten. The elementary school accepts pupils for grades 1 to 5 and contains a canteen and an after-school center. Older children go to schools in neighboring towns or villages.


There was one unfortunate date in the recent history of Knínice – the 1st July 1980. On that day, the village was incorporated into Kuřim and the then independent municipality became merely a part of another town. This situation lasted until 1st March 1990 when Moravské Knínice regained the status of an independent municipality.

Up to 80% of working inhabitants currently commute to work outside of the village as there are no big employers running business in the village. There are, however, many smaller businesses, such as a horticultural company, heating and plumbing company, electrician, construction and agricultural companies, workers specialized in wood processing and furniture, a car service station, a small distillery, along with many others.


The whole village is equipped with water distribution and sewage systems, gas supply system, cable TV system, telephone, public lightning and public address system. Other services for citizens include a restaurant, a grocery store, a library, a sports center, a football pitch, a tennis and volleyball court and a recreational area.


  • SOKOL Sport Association in Moravské Knínice
  • Moravské Knínice Sport Club (football)
  • SYCHROV Gamekeepers Association
  • Union of Fishermen of Knínice
  • Volunteer Fire Brigade
  • Junák – Czech Scout Organization for Girls and Boys
  • Kyničan Dulcimer Music Band + Men's Choir


When the village regained its independence in 1990, a group of young people started to work on restoring the tradition of folk events in which folk costumes play a major role. These events are called the Margaret Folk Celebration and the Martin Folk Celebration. Elderly village’s people provided valuable information and descriptions of individual parts of the folk costumes of Knínice. After consultations with experts in the Ethnographic Museum in Brno, the folk costumes were literally recreated in 1995.


A wide range of significant landscape elements can be found on the lands of Knínice. Among them are animal mating grounds (wetlands and prairie localities with thermophilic insects), areas with special herbs, and plants particular to meadows and pastures.


In Knínice, a number of cultural, social and sporting events are held every year: balls, a children's carnival, a traditional carnival with masks, degustation of liquors, witch burning, amateur theater performances, a music festival, the Margaret and Martin Folk Celebrations, the cutting down of “mája” (a rough tree used as a symbol of Folk Celebrations), the Day of the Municipality, badminton tournaments, shotgun competition on the high tower, a tourist march called “Let us find the May beetles”, a pétanque tournament, a quadrathlon, tennis and table tennis tournaments, the Sokol Sports and Entertainment Event, kite flying, a cycling competition, the Day of Children and Horses, Hubert's Ride and a high jumping competition.

We welcome you to visit our village. Come and see the Margaret and Martin Folk Celebrations, when the square is filled with colorful folk costumes, singing, laughter, and folk dancing.

Information about current events can be found at